Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

I Don't Have a Title for This Blog. Just Read.

Okay, so probably one of the reasons I've been really bad about keeping the blog updated on a regular basis is because writing for myself is SO unbelievably boring. I talk to myself in my head plenty, probably too much, so why bother writing it if I'm the only one who's going to read it?

That having been said, if you read this, I will give you candy. Of course, there will be a quiz. How else will I know if you've read it or are just trying to get free candy? Don't be a CHEATER. That's just not cool. Really.

I've been doing lots of thinking and analyzing and discovering lately. I have noticed several things about my very favorite (and most successful) writers.

*First of all, each and every one of them are women. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything at all, but I find it odd that I tend to read women writers almost exclusively. I don't dislike male writers. I don't avoid them on purpose. It simply seems that lately, I have been gravitating towards the Girl Team.

*These Successful Girl Writers all tend to do several things that seem to bring them great Success. Something of which I would like to have one day when I grow up. (By Success, I mean being published, actively working writers with lots and lots of fans, and busy schedules, and looming deadlines.)

*One of these things is that they all have fancy websites. Feel free to go have a look, but please, don't get so involved that you leave and forget to finish reading THIS blog. Remember, Quiz.

Meg Cabot's Blog-- I like this blog. It is full of sparkles and girly things. Meg's blog is super fun and has lots of good information about what's going on in the world of Entertainment. Meg writes LOTS of books for people of all ages.

Laurell K. Hamilton-- Laurell's page is filled with lots of swirly gothy things to scroll, and some really badass pictures of Laurell K. Hamilton. She has written loads of books as well, but they are NOT for people of all ages. She works incredibly hard, and some days writes as many as 20+ pages.
I got to meet her this week. She is so very kind. Here is a picture of us together:


Maureen Johnson-- This is Maureen Johnson's page. She has lots of hot pink and black. It is sexy and very girly at the same time. She's also on Twitter A LOT. Maureen is very quirky and has a great sense of humor.

*Another thing these women all have in common is that they are extremely active in social media, i.e, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and blogging. I think this one of the secret Keys to being a Successful Writer. How can I expect people to read my writing if they don't even know I exist? Besides, we all know how much writers like to procrastinate. This is a good way to waste time AND become successful.

*These writers also have another essential element in common. They all WRITE. I mean, a lot. A lot. They are always writing in some form. Twitter, Blogging, etc. So, above all, I need to be writing a LOT. 

*They also Finish Things. I'm sure it helps that they all have editors and agents calling them up every hour asking, "Are you finished yet? How about now? Are you done? How about now? Deadline!"  I do not have that luxury. I am self-disciplined. And if anyone knows me well, they know that my self-discipline level is pretty lousy. I mean, if I sent myself out for a switch, I'd come back with a piece of yarn. Seriously. I'm sitting here avoiding a massive pile of laundry seeping out of the laundry room as I type this.

So. With all that being said, I kind of figure that perhaps by emulating these successful people, I myself will also find success. 

Now, you can have your candy.


No comments: